Covington recently released a high-level primer that provides political consultants with a practical resource for creating and running a federal Super PAC in a legally compliant manner. The primer, which is available here, explains the history and basic rules that apply to federal Super PACs. The primer then discusses the following key topics:
- checklist of steps for creating a federal Super PAC;
- options available to Super PACs for federal reporting;
- safeguards Super PACs should implement to avoid illegally coordinating with candidates;
- “do’s” and “don’ts” for candidate involvement in fundraising; and
- rules governing the operation of Super PACs alongside Section 501(c)(4) social welfare organizations.
This primer draws from Covington’s extensive experience advising federal, state, and local Super PACs and their donors.